Try This Morning Mocha Smoothie You Should Switch to for Weight Loss Success
Are you like most of us who can’t start the day without a mocha cappuccino first thing in the morning? If you are, then you are probably aware that that morning mocha drink is adding at least 400-500 calories to your daily count - not including your breakfast meal. A really delicious solution to this problem is creating a morning mocha smoothie that not only takes care of your caffeine, mocha and breakfast needs, but is also an ideal switch for weight loss success as smoothies are one of the most popular recommended weight loss tricks to curb both hunger and calories.
In the September 2014 issue of Oxygen magazine, dietician Matthew Kadey, MS, RD, offers this recipe for a perked-up breakfast drink that you can make in your kitchen that will save you both calories and money.
MORNING MOCHA SMOOTHIE RECIPE
The Night Before:
• Brew a cup or two of strong black coffee at night before going to bed
• Pour the freshly brewed coffee into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight
The Next Morning:
• Depending on your caffeine needs, add one or two cups worth of iced coffee cubes from the previous night into a blender.
• Add 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
• Add 1 scoop of plain or vanilla whey protein powder
• Add 1 medium banana
• Add ¼ cup of rolled oats
• Add 1 tablespoon of raw or natural cocoa powder
• Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
• Add 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
• Blend on high until smooth, drink and enjoy.
The amazing thing about this java smoothie is that it takes care of your hunger and mocha/caffeine needs without the excess calories that come from a typical morning mocha drink.
According to the recipe, the nutrition facts for this drink listed are:
• 329 calories
• 7 g total fat
• 1 g saturated fat
• 0 g trans fat
• 0 mg cholesterol
• 187 mg salt
• 49 g total carbohydrates
• 11 g fiber
• 15 g sugar
• 24 g protein
Aside from the taste and calorie perks, this drink offers fiber and beta-glucan that lowers cholesterol; caffeine to raise mental acuity; the anti-oxidants found in coca; as well as protein for building muscle and warding off hunger until it is time for lunch.
If the caffeine from the cocoa is enough to get your motor running in the morning, here is an alternative morning smoothie recipe for weight loss without the added coffee cubes.
Image Source: Courtesy of PhotoBucket
Reference: Oxygen magazine September 2014 issue