Pets Are Being Poisoned, Warns FDA
The FDA has recently announced in a press release this week that a new alert is out about pets that may inadvertently be poisoned by their owners.
The source of the poisoning is suspected Salmonella contamination in pet treats manufactured by Kasel Associated Industries at their Denver, Colorado facility between the dates of April 20, 2012 through September 19, 2012. As a result of detected traces of Salmonella, the company is voluntarily recalling a number of their products that may place pets and their owners at risk of Salmonella poisoning.
Salmonella poisoning in pets can make your pet appear lethargic or depressed and can cause them to experience abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets may have a less noticeable reaction such as a temporary decrease in appetite.
Salmonella poisoning is not only a serious health issue for pets, but for humans as well who can easily contract Salmonella poisoning by handling the contaminated treats as they feed them to their pets. The FDA warns that Salmonella poisoning passed onto humans can result in some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Health authorities recommend that pet owners should make it a habit to wash their hands immediately after touching a pet treat or dry pet food from a bag.
The FDA also warns that even if your pet did not consume the recalled treats, that they are still at risk of contamination poisoning from both direct and indirect contact with other pets that may be receiving contaminated treats. Pet treats typically have a shelf-life of two years and as such may be not used immediately after purchase.
The distribution of the possibly contaminated treats has been traced to outlets such as Sam’s Club and Costco, and at retailers that include Target and Petco. The products recalled include Boots & Barkley, BIXBI, Nature’s Deli, Colorado Naturals, Petco, and Best Bully Stick items.
A complete listing of the recalled pet treat items is as follows:
• 085239043165 Boots&Barkley American Beef Bully Stick 12"
• 085239403495 Boots&Barkley American Smoked Beef Femur Bone 3"
• 085239043103 Boots&Barkley American Flossie 6-8"
• 085239403440 Boots&Barkley American Pig Ear Strips 8oz
• 085239043202 Boots&Barkley American Chicken Stuffed Beef Femur Bone 6"
• 085239043110 Boots&Barkley American Braided Bully Stick 5"
• 085239043325 Boots&Barkley American Chicken Jerky 16oz
• 085239043400 Boots&Barkley American Chicken Jerky 8oz
• 490830400086 Boots&Barkley American Variety Pack 32oz
• 647263899196 Boots&Barkley American Beef Ribs 2ct
• 647263899172 Boots&Barkley American Beef Knuckle
• 647263899158 Boots&Barkley American Pig Ears 12ct
• 647263899189 Boots&Barkley American Beef Bully Sticks 6ct
• 647263899165 Boots&Barkley American Pork Femur
• 681131857246 Roasted Pig Ear Dog Treats 28oz
• 800443092903 25 PK Natural Pig Ears
• 800443092910 12 PK Natural Pig Ears
• 800443092927 12 PK Smoked Pig Ears
• 800443092934 7 PK Natural Pig Ears
• 800443092941 7 PK Smoked Pig Ears
• 647263800291 16oz Chicken Chips
• 647263900151 16oz Salmon Jerky
• 647263800178 4oz Chicken Jerky
• 647263510176 4oz Lamb Jerky
• 647263900175 4 oz. Salmon Jerky
• 647263801175 4oz Beef Jerky
• 647263800291 16oz Chicken Jerky
• 647263700157 16oz Pork Jerky
• 091037018021 BIXBI Skin & Coat Beef Liver Jerky 5oz
• 091037018045 BIXBI Skin & Coat Lamb Jerky 5oz
• 091037018007 BIXBI Skin & Coat Chicken Breast Jerky Treats 5oz
• 091037018069 BIXBI Skin & Coat Pork Jerky 5oz
• 091037018144 BIXBI Hip And Joint Pork Jerky 5oz
• 091037018120 BIXBI Hip And Joint Lamb Jerky 5oz
• 091037018083 BIXBI Hip And Joint Chicken Breast Jerky 5oz
• 091037018106 BIXBI Hip And Joint Beef Liver Jerky 5oz
• Bulk TDBBS, Inc. Buffalo Hearts Sliced 3 lbs.
• Bulk TDBBS, Inc. Knee Caps 25 Ct
• Unknown TDBBS, Inc. Pork Jerky Strips 16oz
• Unknown TDBBS, Inc. Chicken Jerky 16oz
• Unknown TDBBS, Inc. Turkey Cubes 4.5oz
• Bulk TDBBS, Inc. Pig Snouts 25ct
• Bulk TDBBS, Inc. Beef Lobster Tails 1ct
• Unknown TDBBS, Inc. Turkey Jerky Sticks 6ct
• Unknown TDBBS, Inc. Hearts of Lamb 4oz
• Unknown TDBBS, Inc. Lamb Jerky 4oz
• 647263800215 Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky 3lbs
• 647263800208 Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky 2.5lbs
The FDA states that consumers who have purchased any of the listed products above are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund and that questions about the safety of other products from Kasel Associated Industries can be answered by a company representative at (800) 218-4417 Monday thru Friday from 7am to 5pm MDT.
Image Source: Courtesy of MorgueFile
Reference: U.S. Food and Drug Administration press release— “Kasel Associated Industries Recalls All Products Manufactured at its Denver, Colorado Facility from April 20, 2012 thru September 19, 2012 Because of Possible Salmonella Health Risk.”