Flat Belly Fat Blast Success you can do at Home or on the Road
Remember those BowFlex infomercials that showed how to go from a fat belly to a lean belly at home using a weight machine fitted with special resistance bands? Remember how expensive that machine was? Yeah, I do. And the last time I saw one of those machines in a friend’s home, it was being used to hang clothing in the bedroom—“To keep the dust off,” I was told. Yeah…right.
The good news is that Prevention magazine through the talents of fitness writer Natalie Gingerich Mackenzie explains how you can use an inexpensive exercise band with a small pair of dumbbells for a triple duty toner to get you fitter faster and achieve flat belly fat blast success at home or on the road without having to buy an expensive clothes hanger.
The secret of triple toner exercises is based on exercise research that shows that pairing resistance bands with dumbbells can build strength 3 times faster than with typical dumbbell exercise routines alone.
The following is a summary of eight common exercises that are triple powered by using a resistance band and one or two small dumbbells together. It is suggested that when you first try this, to solo with the band until you feel comfortable enough to add on the dumbbell(s). Do 8-12 reps of each exercise and adjust the band’s tension as needed.
Exercise #1: Triple-Duty Cheerleader Press (for shoulders and backs of arms)
1. Stand with left foot on one end of band and hold other end of band plus dumbbell in left hand.
2. Raise left arm up, elbow bent like making a muscle. This is your starting position.
3. Press left hand holding dumbbell and band straight up, pause, then bend elbow so that the dumbbell goes behind your head.
4. Straighten left elbow and return to starting position. Do 8-12 reps.
5. Repeat sequence for right arm making the necessary foot/hand corrections.
Exercise #2: Triple-Duty Chest Press (for chest and arms)
1. Lie flat on your back on floor or on a step bench.
2. Bend knees up with feet flat on floor and band underneath your back.
3. Hold one band end and one dumbbell in each hand with elbows bent and hands near chest—this is your starting position.
4. Press arms straight up, pause, slowly lower to starting position.
Exercise #3: Triple-Duty Squat and Curl (for butt, thighs and upper arms)
1. Stand with feet hip-width apart and both feet on middle section of band.
2. Hold one end of band plus one dumbbell in each hand, palms facing your sides.
3. Lower your butt as if sitting in a chair, keeping your knees behind your toes—this is your starting position.
4. Bend elbows bringing weights to your chest, allowing wrists to rotate the palms toward the chest.
5. Press against heels to stand up, pause, slowly lower arms and butt back to starting position.
Exercise #4: Triple-Duty Skater Side Twist (for butt, waist, thighs and hips)
1. Attach one end of band to heavy stationary object (a spouse will do).
2. Hold other end of band and one dumbbell in both hands and stand off to your left of the stationary object with band stretched under tension—this is your starting position.
3. Step back diagonally to your left with your right foot and bend both knees to 45 degrees as if in a curtsy to the stationary object.
4. Straighten legs, bring right leg parallel to left leg, rotate torso to the right bringing dumbbell up to chest height.
5. Return to starting position.
6. Repeat for opposite side.
Exercise #5: Triple-Duty Butt Kicker (for butt, backs of thighs and abs)
1. Get down on hands and knees with wrists below shoulders and knees below hips.
2. Wrap middle of band around left heel, place dumbbell in crook of left knee
3. Hold one end of band in each hand—this is your starting position.
4. Hold right foot flexed and press left heel up and back, pause, and then lower to starting position.
5. Repeat for opposite side.
Exercise #6: Triple-Duty Pullover and Crunch (for backs of arms and abs)
1. Attach one end of band to heavy stationary object.
2. Lie on back with knees bent and with stationary object and band behind your head.
3. Hold dumbbells in each hand and bend elbows back about 90 degrees and grasp band—this is your starting position.
4. Tense your abs to lift body slightly up and press dumbbells forward while stretching the band towards your feet, pause, slowly lower body and then arms back to starting position.
Exercise #7: Triple-Duty Bent-Over Row (for butt, back and arms)
1. Stand with left foot in front of right foot
2. Place middle of band under left foot and hold each band free end with one dumbbell in each hand.
3. Bend torso forward and bring right leg back and up off the floor until body is balanced and is parallel to floor and arms hanging straight down—this is your starting position.
4. Bend elbows and pull on band and weights toward underarms, pause, and return to starting position.
5. Repeat and alternate standing leg with each set.
Exercise #8: Triple-Duty Side Leg-Lift Crunch (for butt, hips and waist)
1. Wrap one end of band around dumbbell and other end of band several times around both thighs at arm distance placing dumbbell within reach on left side.
2. Lie down on right side with legs stacked and right arm extended with your head resting on your arm—this is your starting position.
3. Raise left leg while side-crunching your torso a few inches off the floor.
4. Lower your torso and leg and do 8-12 reps in all.
5. Repeat on opposite side of body.
For more information on how to blast belly fat away, here is another Prevention magazine article review to help you achieve flat belly fat blast success.
Reference: Prevention magazine March 2012 Issue
Image credit: Morguefile