Choking Hazard Toy Recall: Little Tikes Workshop and Tool Sets
A choking hazard toy recall and warning was issued recently for the Little Tikes® Workshop and Tool Sets line of products. The recall is the second for a popular line of toy workshop and tool sets that contains plastic toy nails that poses a choking hazard for children.
According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), of the 17,000 reported incidences of pediatric choking in 2001, 60% were related to food, 31% were related to non-food substances, and 9% were related to undetermined objects. Of the choking incidents related to non-food objects, 13 percent were from coins and a large percentage was due to toys that were small enough to enter an infant’s mouth, but too large to pass through the esophagus. In spite of public and corporate awareness of the hazards small toys pose for young children, product recalls continue as manufacturers turn out new toys each year.
This week, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 1.7 million toy workshop and tool sets made by Little Tikes® are being recalled due to past reports of two non-fatal infant choking incidences involving their colorful, oversized plastic nails. Previously in 2009, a similar recall was made for approximately 1.6 million trucks and workshop sets that contained the same toy nails.
The toy nails are approximately 3 1/4 inches long by 1 1/4 inches in diameter and are made of either red or blue colored plastic. The toy nails have a large, round head with a plastic ridge below and slightly smaller than the nail head that is approximately 1 inch in diameter.
Parents are asked to remove all toy nails from their children and contact the Little Tikes® firm for replacement nails and to be on the lookout for the same toy nails that are sold as part of 11 additional models of Little Tikes® Workshop and Tool sets. The 11 additional models are listed below:
• Model #4491/Workshop/UPC 0 50743 04491 5
• Model #4601/Deluxe Workshop/UPC 0 50743 04601 8
• Model #0827/Carry Along Workshop/UPC 0 50743 10827 3
• Model #4765/ Revv 'n Roar Mechanics Workshop/UPC 0 50743 04765 7
• Model #0627/ Carry Along Tool Caddy/UPC 0 50743 10627 9
• Model #4174/ Home Center Workshop/UPC 0 50743 04174 7
• Model #4789/ Workbench/UPC 0 50743 04789 3
• Model #4071/ Little Tikes Workshop/UPC 0 50743 04071 9
• Model #0014/ Kohl's Workshop Tool Set/UPC 0 50743 10014 7
• Model #4497/ Menard's Home Center Workshop/UPC 0 50743 77732 5
• Model #4201/ Action Power Workshop/UPC 0 50743 04201 0
Source: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission News Report: Reference