Six Reasons Why Women Should Consider Breastfeeding
Having a baby is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and life changing events in a woman`s life. As a baby grows, it needs proper nutrition, rest, love and support from the mother and family. Breastfeeding is the most natural and beneficial way to strengthen your baby`s immune system and provide the best possible nutrition for yourself, as a mother, and your baby.
"Breastfeeding has many benefits ranging from creating an important mother/baby bond to ensuring baby gets natural nutrients," said Pam Noreiko, a lactation specialist at Baptist Hospital.
Baptist Hospital suggests six reasons why women should consider breastfeeding:
1. Breast milk is the most complete form of nutrition for infants. A mother`s milk has just the right amount of fat, sugar, water and protein that is needed for a baby`s healthy growth and development.
2. Breastfeeding helps form a significant bond for mother and baby. Physical contact is important to newborns and can help the newborn feel more secure, warm and comforted.
3. Nursing uses up extra calories, making it easier the lose pregnancy weight. Breastfeeding also helps the uterus to get back to its original size and lessons any bleeding a woman may have after giving birth.
4. Breastfeeding lowers the risks of breast and ovarian cancer, and possibly the risk of hip fractures and osteoporosis after menopause.
5. Breastfeeding makes your life easier. It saves time and money. There is no need to purchase, measure and mix formula continuously.
6. Breastfed babies score higher on IQ tests later in life, especially babies who were born pre-maturely.