Banquet Frozen Pot Pie Tests Positive For Salmonella
State health officials confirmed that a Banquet Frozen Turkey Pot Pie has tested positive for Salmonella bacteria at the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection laboratory in Madison.
People are advised to discard frozen pot pie products that may be linked to 22 Salmonella illnesses in 15 Wisconsin counties. All varieties of the following 7 oz. single serving brands bearing an establishment number 'P-9' or 'Est. 1059' printed on the side of the package should be discarded:
' Banquet (sold in many stores)
' Great Value (sold at WalMart)
' Albertson's (sold at Albertson's)
' Food Lion (sold at Food Lion)
' Hill Country Fare (sold at HEB)
' Kirkwood (sold at Aldi)
' Kroger (sold at Kroger)
' Meijer (sold at Meijer)
' Western Family (now discontinued)
The previously unopened pie that tested positive for Salmonella was collected from the freezer of a Wisconsin resident who had been diagnosed with Salmonella illness in September. Further laboratory testing is pending to confirm whether the Salmonella bacteria found in the pot pie matches the strain that has caused 211 illnesses nationwide, including 22 among Wisconsin residents.
Wisconsin health officials are continuing to monitor for additional cases, so please watch for Salmonella symptoms, which typically appear 18 to 36 hours after exposure, but can occur as quickly as 8 hours - or as long as 72 hours - after exposure. People infected with Salmonella bacteria may experience mild to severe diarrhea, abdominal pains, fever, and occasionally vomiting for several days. Bloodstream infections are infrequent, but can be quite serious, particularly in the very young or elderly. Most people with Salmonella infection will recover on their own, but it's important to drink fluids to prevent dehydration. If you have any questions about your symptoms, contact your health care provider.
Salmonella is a bacterium that typically affects the intestinal tract, but can also be detected in urine, the blood or other body tissues. It is spread by (1) eating or drinking contaminated food or water, or (2) by direct or indirect contact with fecal material from infected people or animals.