Exactly What Is A Serving? Know The Size of Servings
Dietary recommendations are frequently give in "servings" - three to five servings a day of fruits and vegetables, two to three servings a day of meat and so on. Do you know what is meant by a "serving?"
Knowing the size of a serving can help you determine your portions - the amount of a particular food you eat at a given time. Here are some examples of serving sizes, for use in gauging your portions:
- Three ounces of cooked meat, fish or poultry is the size of a deck of cards
- Two tablespoons of peanut butter is the size of a golf ball
- A medium piece of fruit looks like a baseball
- A medium bagel is the size of a hockey puck
- One ounce of cheese is the size of four dice
- A small baked potato is the size of a computer mouse
The serving size for raw vegetables, yogurt and fruit is one cup which will fit into an average woman's hand.