ACNE - Basic Understanding
Acne is the bane of existence for nearly 17 million people who suffer from some form of acne. Acne is not only embarrassing but also causes psychosocial effects such as: anxiety, depression, inferiority, insecurity, frustration and self-consciousness. Acne can be in the form of blackheads, whiteheads, pimples or cysts. Can be on the face, neck, shoulders, upper back or chest.
The different definitions of acne are:
- Acne blemish: A flaw in the skin.
- Acne pimple: A small, prominent, inflamed elevation of the skin.
- Blackhead: A condition of the skin characterized by a black tip.
- Whitehead: A condition of the skin characterized by a small, firm, whitish elevation of the skin.
- Cysts: When the clogged pore is swollen, infected and forms a bump it's called a "cyst."
Those most susceptible are teenagers and adolescents but it also affects many adults. Although the exact cause of acne is still unknown