Winter-Guard Your Skin this Season
(NC) Temperatures are starting to dip and that means it's time to prepare skin for the harsh, dry climate. Don't wait until your skin is already suffering to start moisturizing. Start your skin care regime now so that your skin looks and feels great by the time the cold weather hits.
"The most important thing you can do to prepare your skin for winter weather is to moisturize daily," says dermatologist Dr. Mary Lupo. "Apply lotion while your skin is still damp from showering in order to help trap in moisture in the upper layers of the skin."
Dr. Lupo recommends Curel Extreme Care Moisture Therapy lotion for people with dry skin, since it contains oatmeal and eucalyptus extracts to soothe extra dry, itchy skin. Normal to oilier skin types can opt for a lighter lotion like Curel Original Formula, which will still leave skin feeling soft and moisturized. And for sensitive skin, the Fragrance Free Original Formula provides all the same moisture benefits without any irritation.
To further winter-guard your skin, follow these tips to make sure your skin is protected come winter.
- Limit showers to 10 minutes and make sure the water is lukewarm. As tempting as it is in cold weather, hot water removes natural oils from the skin, making it dry and itchy.
- Don't over cleanse your skin. Use a mild soap to prevent stripping it of its natural moisturizers.
- Carry a 100 mL bottle of Curel Original Formula in your purse and get into the habit of moisturizing your hands right after you wash them. It will help seal in moisture.
- Invest in a humidifier to help prevent your skin from drying out - it may also save you from a parched, scratchy throat and headache.
- Exfoliate at least once a week while showering. It will remove dead cells and allow the skin to absorb extra moisture.
- News Canada