Don't Consume Sexual Dysfunction Pills With Undeclared Ingredients

Ruzanna Harutyunyan's picture
Don't Consume Sexual Dysfunction Pills With Undeclared Ingredients

The Department of Health (DH) appealed to members of the public not to buy or use a product labelled as "Lu Quan" as it was found to contain an undeclared drug which is known to link with serious side effects.

A DH spokesman said a 73-year-old man was admitted to Kwong Wah Hospital on August 13 after being found unconscious. His blood glucose level was very low on admission. He had recovered and was discharged on August 19.

Investigation revealed that he had a history of taking the product (a kind of red/yellow capsule) purchased in Shenzhen. The urine of the patient was found to have contained glibenclamide (a diabetic drug) and sildenafil (a drug used for treating male sexual dysfunction).

Laboratory tests on the remaining product provided by the patient showed the presence of the two drug ingredients today.


The spokesman said glibenclamide could cause nausea and gastro-intestinal upset. Improper use may cause a significant fall in blood sugar level with serious health consequence and even death.

The side effects of sildenafil include low blood pressure, headache, vomiting, dizziness, and transient vision disturbances. It may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs (such as nitroglycerin for treatment of angina) and may lower blood pressure of patients to dangerous levels. Improper use of sildenafil may pose serious health risks, especially for patients with heart problems.

Under the Pharmacy and Poisons Ordinance of Hong Kong, products containing either sildenafil or glibenclamide must be registered before sale and can only be sold on a doctor's prescription and under supervision of a pharmacist.

Members of the public who have bought the product are advised not to take it. Moreover, they are urged to seek advice from their doctors if feeling unwell after consuming the product.

They should destroy and dispose of the products or submit them to the Department's Pharmaceutical Service at 3/F, Public Health Laboratory Centre, 382 Nam Cheong Street, Kowloon, during office hours.

"People who have problems of sexual dysfunction should consult medical professionals for appropriate advice or medication," the spokesman said.

Share this content.

If you liked this article and think it may help your friends, consider sharing or tweeting it to your followers.