Parents Should Keep Camphor Products Away From Children

Armen Hareyan's picture
Advertisement

The Health Department warned New York City parents and caregivers to keep products containing camphor away from children. Some camphor products can be toxic to children when accidentally ingested or excessively applied to skin. Three recent cases of seizures associated with camphor have been confirmed in the Bronx. All three children have recovered. The Health Department is investigating seven additional cases suspected to be associated with camphor.

Camphor, alcanfor in Spanish, is a common ingredient in many products used for colds, pest control, to ward off illness, or as air freshener. Camphor is sold in cubes (pictured below), or as a balm or ointment. Camphor cubes and tablets are not approved by the FDA for use as cough or cold medicine. Camphor products that are not labeled with ingredients and do not have manufacturer information should not be used; they are unsafe and illegal. Legal camphor products, such as some chest rubs used to relieve congestion, should only be used as directed on the label. Camphor products are sold in botanicas, pharmacies, discount stores, among other types of New York City stores.

Advertisement

"Camphor products can be very dangerous for children," said Nancy Clark, Assistant Commissioner for Environmental Disease Prevention. "Be sure to keep these products away from them. Swallowing camphor or applying it in large amounts to a child can cause seizures. If you think your child may have been poisoned, call the Poison Control Center at (212) POISONS."

The main symptoms of camphor poisoning in children include stomachache, nausea, vomiting, irritability, agitation, and seizures. Symptoms may occur very quickly after exposure -- as early as 5 to 20 minutes.

Advice for parents and caregivers

* Do not use any product without an ingredient label, manufacturers name and address

Advertisement