DHHS Issues Warning About Children Eating Poison Mushrooms

Ruzanna Harutyunyan's picture

The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Divison of Public Health Services (DPHS) is warning residents to be cautious and make sure children do not ingest any wild mushrooms. Recently, there has been an increase in calls to the Northern New England Poison Control Center (NNEPC) related to New Hampshire toddlers eating potentially poisonous mushrooms from their yards.


"Mushrooms in the State are thriving because of the unusually wet summer we’ve had," said Nicholas Toumpas, Commissioner of DHHS. "We are issuing a warning so parents will be especially careful when children are playing outside. Pets may also be at risk if they ingest wild mushrooms."

There are many different types of mushrooms that grow in New Hamsphire, some of them are toxic. Small amounts of wild mushrooms often cause little or no effect when swallowed. However, as little as one bit of a poisonous mushroom can cause serious injury or death. Many toxic mushrooms look a lot like non-toxic ones.

"With the recent beautiful weather many children are playing outside," said Dr. Jose Montero, Director of DPHS. " Investigating new things in the yard can become part of their play. Young children often put their hands and other objects in their mouth. It is important to watch young children carefully and to teach them not to touch, taste, or smell any new item without first asking an adult."

Share this content.

If you liked this article and think it may help your friends, consider sharing or tweeting it to your followers.