Health knowledge and news provided by doctors.

Floridians Cautioned About Mold In Water-Damaged Buildings

Ruzanna Harutyunyan's picture

As Floridians clean and repair their storm damaged homes and buildings, the Florida Department of Health (DOH) urges the public to take precautionary measures to avoid indoor air quality problems. Moisture that enters buildings from leaks or flooding accelerates mold growth. Molds can cause disease, trigger allergic reactions and continue to damage materials long after the storm. Failure to control moisture and mold can present short and long- term health risks.


Remove standing water from your home or office.

Remove wet materials.

Follow eMaxHealth on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
Please, click to subscribe to our Youtube Channel to be notified about upcoming health and food tips.

If mold growth has already occurred, carefully remove or clean the moldy material.

Consider using personal protective equipment when cleaning or removing mold – gloves, goggles and an N-95 particle respirator (found at most local hardware stores). Check with a health care provider before wearing a respirator. Do not use a respirator if you have heart disease or chronic lung disease such as asthma or emphysema.

Individuals with known mold allergies or asthma should not clean or remove moldy materials.

Remember to not mix cleaners and disinfectants, as hazardous gases may produce hazardous chemical reactions. Read and follow label instructions carefully. Open windows and doors to provide plenty of fresh air.

For more information about indoor air quality and mold growth, contact your local county health department, the Florida Department of Health's Indoor Air Toxics Hotline at 800-543-8279 or visit the Department of Health Web site at www.doh.state.fl.us and select “mold” from the subject list.