Eat Right and Get Some Sleep
Along with good nutrition and regular physical activity, adequate rest is a big part of any formula for fitness and health.
When you get a good night's sleep, you feel better and are maximizing brain function and energy levels. But how well you sleep can depend on what you eat.
Consider these tips for sleep for the rest of your life:
- Have a small meal or snack no less than three hours before going to sleep.
- Eat heavy, high-fat meals for at least four hours before going to sleep.
- Limit your nighttime intake of caffeine from coffee, soft drinks, water and energy drinks.
- Limit your alcohol intake at night.
- Drink a cup of warm milk before sleeping.
While watching what you eat can help to sleep better, don't avoid food entirely at night. If you go to bed hungry, your body may complain by waking you in the middle of the night.
Regular physical activity will also help you sleep well, since exercise helps the body expend energy during the day and recoup at night. However, avoid exercising within three hours of bedtime because that, too, can keep you awake.