Health knowledge and news provided by doctors.

Local carbon monoxide poisonings highlight danger

Armen Hareyan's picture

At least 55 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning came to Harborview Medical Center alone following the recent windstorm, highlighting the severe danger from using combustion-based sources of indoor heat. Local health officials urged the public not to use unvented, combustion-based sources of heat or power indoors, such as gas and kerosene heaters, charcoal briquettes or generators.

"If you are seeking warmth until your power is restored, please seek out safe options, such as shelters, or the kindness of friends and family," said Dorothy Teeter, Interim Director and Health officer for Public Health