Santa Clara Residents Encouraged To Take Hot Weather Precautions
There are a few easy steps residents can take to stay cool during hot summer days.
Although it's important to be most cautious during a sustained period of extreme heat, residents should be aware of a few easy tips they can follow throughout the summer.
TOP TEN TIPS FOR STAYING COOL:
1. Drink plenty of non-carbonated liquids like water or electrolyte-enriched liquids to replace your fluids even if you don't feel thirsty.
2. Avoid liquids that have alcohol, caffeine or lots of sugar because they will speed up fluid loss.
3. Stay in air-conditioned areas such as malls, libraries, movie theatres and community centers. Even a few hours can cool your body's temperature.
4. If you feel very hot, cool off by taking a cool bath or shower. Opening a window or using a fan may not prevent heat-related illnesses.
5. Do not cool children in alcohol baths. Cool, plain water baths or moist towels work best.
6. Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing, such as cotton, so sweat can evaporate.
7. NEVER leave anyone or pets in closed, parked cars during hot weather.
8. Do not bundle babies in blankets or heavy clothing. Infants do not tolerate heat well because their sweat glands are not fully developed.
9. Limit physical activity to morning and evening hours. Avoid physical activity or exercise between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. typically the hottest part of the day. Rest often in shady areas.
10. Wear a wide-brimmed, vented hat or use an umbrella because your head absorbs heat easily.