Toast To Your Health - 10 tips on staying healthy
(NC) - This year as part of your New Year's resolution try to adopt a healthier lifestyle. This is easier said then done sometimes, but here are some helpful tips to get you started:
1. Eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes such as beans and chick peas. Refer to Canada's Food Guide for exact servings you should have each day.
2. Get into the habit of choosing lower fat foods more often.
3. Eat soy as it is a great source of vegetarian protein. If you can't get enough soy in your diet, ask your doctor or pharmacist about natural dietary supplements that contain red clover isoflavones. Isoflavones are dietary compounds found in such legumes as red clover, soy and lentils. Over-the-counter products containing these isoflavones include Promensil, Rimostil and Trinovin. These natural health supplements have been clinically tested and results have shown that they alleviate menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, improve bone density and lipid profile in postmenopausal women, and help to maintain prostate and urinary tract health in men respectively.
4. Drink several glasses of water a day, and avoid excessive intake of alcohol and caffeine.
5. Exercise at least three times per week for at least 20-30 minutes at a time. For example, using the stairs burns twice as many calories as walking. Research shows that physical activity strengthens the heart, helps you maintain a healthy body weight, and improves your energy levels.
6. If you smoke, you should try to quit. Talk to your doctor about smoking cessation aids if you cannot quit "cold turkey".
7. Get enough sleep.
8. Learn to cope with stress by exercising, and using relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and yoga.
9. Educate yourself so that you can make informed decisions about your health.
10. Stay positive and maintain meaningful relationships with your family and friends.
- News Canada