Health knowledge and news provided by doctors.

Warning in Wake of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Armen Hareyan's picture

Five people in Greensboro could have died this past weekend when a crack in their furnace's heat exchanger allowed carbon monoxide (CO) to leak into their home. That close call is prompting public health officials to warn about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially during cold snaps.

"This kind of situation is preventable," said Kay Sanford, public health epidemiologist in the Injury and Violence Prevention Branch of the state Division of Public Health. "You should get your furnace checked annually to make sure it is in good shape, and everyone should install