Sacramento Issues Poor Air Quality, Prepares To Hot Weather
Sacramento area officials are jointly preparing for the expectation of continued smoky conditions and triple digit weather.
Representatives of the City and County of Sacramento are monitoring the situation closely and want to remind you to take steps in advance to prepare yourself and your family during the next few days.
Detailed information on how to deal with the heat and any associated emergencies is available online at the Sacramento Ready website. Specific public health information can be found at the DHHS Public Health website. Specific air quality information for the region is found at the Spare the Air website.
Keep in mind that this weather pattern of expected 100 degree plus heat is not unusual for this time of year, and overnight lows this week are still expected to be in the 60’s. The smoky conditions from California wildfires have increased the severity of the concern, however, and we are asking you to use common sense and keep your friends and neighbors in mind.
What can you do to stay safe in the heat?
• Avoid outdoor activities, particularly if you are in an area impacted heavily by the smoke as well as the heat.
• Be particularly watchful of children, seniors and anyone with respiratory or heart conditions.
• Check on your neighbors, family members and others who may not have access to air conditioning.
• Take advantage of public pools, shady parks, shopping malls, public libraries and other places that can offer an escape from the heat.
• Keep an eye out on outdoor pets as well, and make sure they have shade and enough cool water.
What is being done on behalf of more vulnerable residents?
• City and County workers who have direct contact with residents, such as Meals on Wheels staff, are checking on their welfare.
• Homeless service providers are working to ensure the safety of those who don’t have a place to go to escape the heat.
• Utility workers and public safety personnel are also on the lookout for anyone who might need extra assistance.
Where can residents call for information?
You can call 211 in Sacramento County for information and referrals regarding any social service need, and operators are available around the clock to provide you with the most up to date information.