Swine Flu Precautionary Measures Taken At Devon College
The Health Protection Agency is working with Torbay Care Trust and local authorities following the earlier confirmation of a case of swine flu in a pupil at a college in Paignton.
As a precautionary measure, acting under advice from local health protection experts, the college will close at the normal time today and remain closed for seven consecutive days.
Those considered to be potential close-contacts of the pupil confirmed with swine flu are being offered antivirals as a precautionary measure and advised to monitor their health for flu-like symptoms. There is no need for these individuals to isolate themselves from the community unless they show symptoms.
The definition of close contacts is based on interim guidance issued by the Health Protection Agency which states that individuals exposed to a probable or confirmed case within a distance of one metre or less and for longer than one hour should be offered antivirals as a precautionary measure.
General infection control practices and good respiratory hand hygiene can help to reduce transmission of all viruses, including the human swine influenza. This includes:
* Covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a tissue when possible.
* Disposing of dirty tissues promptly and carefully.
* Maintaining good basic hygiene, for example washing hands frequently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus from your hands to face or to other people.
* Cleaning hard surfaces (e.g. door handles) frequently using a normal cleaning product.
* Making sure your children follow this advice.