Seniors Invited To Bone Up Their Health
In recognition of National Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month, Atlantic County Seniors age 60 years and older are invited to a “bone up your health” workshop to learn more about promoting bone health and preventing falls.
The workshop, developed by the New Jersey Geriatric Education Center for Aging and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, will be offered at five Atlantic County Senior Centers and will teach residents about the importance of bone health including individual risk factors, practical tips and strategies to improve quality of life through healthy lifestyle behaviors.
According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, an estimated 34 million Americans have low bone mass, placing them at increased risk for osteoporosis. However, the risk of developing fragile bones can be decreased for those who begin taking preventative measures now.
The free workshop will be held at the following Senior Centers in May and June:
* Jeffries Towers Senior Center, 227 N. Vermont Avenue, Atlantic City, Wednesday, May 13, 10:30 AM
* Egg Harbor Township Senior Center, 3052 English Creek Avenue, Monday, May 18, 10:00 AM
* Hammonton Senior Center, 310 Bellevue Avenue, Tuesday, May 19, 11:15 AM
* Buena Senior Center, 604 Central Avenue, Minotola, Wednesday, May 20, 11:00 AM
* Dr. Leinweber Senior Center, 235 Dolphin Avenue, Northfield, Tuesday, June 16, 11:00 AM.