Suspected Norovirus At South Sioux City Restaurant

Ruzanna Harutyunyan's picture
Advertisement

A restaurant/bar in South Sioux City has closed down voluntarily to disinfect its premises after dozens of people became ill after eating there, according to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.

The restaurant/bar at the Marina Inn has closed temporarily on the advice of health officials. Symptoms are consistent with a norovirus, a highly contagious virus that is spread person to person or by food.

Advertisement

The symptoms of norovirus illness include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramping. Some people may have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches and tiredness. The illness usually begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness lasts for one or two days.

People from Nebraska and Iowa who ate at this restaurant became ill. Epidemiologists from the state health departments are investigating, as well as the Nebraska Department of Agriculture.

Stool samples from ill people and environmental samples are being collected and sent to laboratories for testing. The restaurant/bar will reopen Friday.

People who have become ill after eating there can report it to their health department. In Nebraska, call the local health department. If symptoms persist, see a physician.

Share this content.

If you liked this article and think it may help your friends, consider sharing or tweeting it to your followers.
Advertisement