Stonewall Kitchen Voluntarily Recalls Seven Dessert Sauces
As a precautionary measure, Stonewall Kitchen of York, Maine is voluntarily recalling seven dessert sauces because they have the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium which can cause life-threatening illness or death. Consumers are warned not to use the product even if it does not look or smell spoiled.
Botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double-vision and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also me common symptoms. People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.
The following list of products was distributed nationwide to consumers through the nine Stonewall Kitchen Company Stores, Stonewall Kitchen’s direct-to-consumer division (catalog/internet) and through their wholesale division. Products could have been purchased individually or within a gift basket. This recall affects all product codes and expiration dates for:
* Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce (SKU 161312) – round glass jar, 12 oz.
* Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Peanut Butter (SKU 161211) – round glass jar, 12 oz.
* Stonewall Kitchen Coffee Caramel Sauce (SKU 161204) – round glass jar, 13 oz.
* Stonewall Kitchen Dulce de Leche Sauce (SKU 161214) – round glass jar, 12.5 oz.
* Barefoot Contessa Espresso Dulce de Leche (SKU 542313) – round glass jar, 10.5 oz.
Additionally, the following list of products was distributed nationwide to consumers through
A-Hold Corporation (Stop & Shop and Giant stores). This recall affects all product codes and expiration dates for:
* Simply Enjoy Coffee Caramel Sauce – square glass jar, 13 oz.
* Simply Enjoy Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce – square glass jar, 12 oz.
To date, Stonewall Kitchen has not experienced any problems or complaints about our dessert sauces. No illnesses have been reported to date.
Stonewall Kitchen is voluntarily recalling these products due to the fact that during manufacturing, the pH level and water activity did not meet our food safety standards.
If a consumer has the any of the above products, we recommend they discontinue the use of that jar and return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.