Hong Kong Suspects Poisoning Related To Puffer Fish

Ruzanna Harutyunyan's picture
Advertisement

The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Hong Kong Department of Health called on people not to consume puffer fish following a report of suspected poisoning case associated with the fish.

Advertisement

The case involved a 61-year-old man who developed face and limb numbness, limb weakness and dizziness about four hours after consuming a puffer fish on November 9. He caught the fish in Hong Kong waters. He sought medical attention at Accident and Emergency Department of Tseung Kwan O Hospital yesterday without hospitalisation and is now in stable condition.

A CHP spokesman said puffer fish contains tetrodotoxin, a heat-stable toxin which does not decompose with boiling or cooking.

"Toxins are most concentrated in the organs such as liver, gonads and skin. Avoiding eating puffer fish is the best way to prevent puffer fish poisoning," the spokesman said.

Advertisement