Safe Kids Near You
The Utah Department of Health (UDOH), Safe Kids Utah, and other community partners are celebrating National Child Passenger Safety Week, held September 12-19, 2009, with the release of a new website geared to parents and caregivers with children under the age of 14.
"Each year in Utah, an average of 57 children under age 14 die from preventable injuries and another 48,000 are hurt badly enough to need medical care, said Christi Fisher, Director of Safe Kids Utah and a health educator with the UDOH Violence and Injury Prevention Program (VIPP). "We're thrilled to be able to help bring down those numbers by giving parents a more interactive way to keep their children safe," she added.
The information and features of the new site, www.safekidsutah.org, will help parents get safety tips quickly and accurately. It features videos, fact sheets, and other resources on safety topics including poisoning prevention and car, bicycle, water, pedestrian, and fire safety. The website also features a list of car seat inspection sites across the state, a calendar of safety events, newsletters, and text messaging alerts. Safe Kids leaders welcome feedback on how the site can be made even more useful for parents.
In addition to the new site, free car seat checks and classes will be held across the state by Safe Kids Coalitions and local health departments. Certified child passenger safety technicians will be on hand to show parents how to install their seats. Events will be held:
• Friday, September 11 – Car seat checkpoint from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Babinski Baby in the Foothill Mall (1324 South Foothill Drive).
• Friday, September 11 – Car seat checkpoint (Kamas). Please call 435-615-3954 for an appointment.
• Saturday, September 12 – Car seat checkpoint from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ute Plaza (7500 East Highway 40, Fort Duchesne).
• Wednesday, September 16 – Child passenger safety class from 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. at Hill Air Force Base.
• Thursday, September 17 – Child passenger safety class from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Davis Hospital and Medical Center (1600 W. Antelope Drive, Layton). Participants must register beforehand by calling 801-807-7096.
• Friday, September 18 – Car seat checkpoint from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Redwood Recreation Center, 3060 South Lester Street (3100 So. Redwood Road).
• Friday, September 18 – Used car seat collection (Park City). Please call for 435- 615-3954 for an appointment.
• Saturday, September 19 – Car seat checkpoint from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Costco (573 West 100 North, West Bountiful).
• Saturday, September 19 – Car seat checkpoint from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Hansen Motor Company GM (1175 South Commerce Way, Brigham City).
Safe Kids Utah was organized in 1995 to address the issue of childhood injuries and to look for better ways to keep kids safe. Together with community partners across the state, Safe Kids Utah strives to make Utah a safer place for children by preventing unintentional injuries and deaths by raising community awareness, influencing policies, promoting safety, and establishing private/public partnerships.