Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
Northern Ireland's Chief Medical Officer, Dr Michael McBride today urged people to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
He was speaking during Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Week, which aims to raise awareness of carbon monoxide by providing information on the dangers, simple steps for safety and prevention, the most common symptoms, and where to seek help and advice.
To coincide with CO Awareness Week, Dr McBride has written to health professionals in Northern Ireland to alert them to the signs and symptoms to look out for in patients, and provide them with information to share with their patients on the steps to take to prevent exposure.
He said: "Carbon monoxide poisoning causes a small number of deaths and hospital admissions each year in Northern Ireland. However, given that the symptoms are similar to those of many other conditions, diagnosing the illness is not easy. That is why I have written to my colleagues in the health profession to ensure they are more suspicious of symptoms that could be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
"As with many illnesses, recognising the symptoms and getting medical help quickly is very important. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea and vomiting, dizziness and feeling weak.
"If anyone suspects that they may have carbon monoxide poisoning, I would urge them to visit their GP as soon as possible."