Don't Let Halloween Play A Trick On You
College life: it's being with friends, cramming all night and waking up just in time to get to class. And in Wisconsin, it means parties. Lots of them.
Halloween is around the corner and as much as fun as the treats can be, don't let drinking become the trick. Not everyone at college wants to drink…and the numbers clearly point to the consequences. Take the quiz below to see if you can correctly guess the impact alcohol can have.
1) Nationwide, college students were victims of an alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape last year.
2) Nationwide, approximately 400,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 had unprotected sex - and more than 100,000 say they were too intoxicated to know if they consented to having sex. In 2007, Wisconsin college students got chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis or herpes.
3) One in three 18 to 24 year olds admitted to emergency rooms is intoxicated. It takes about hours to eliminate the alcohol content of two drinks, depending on your weight.
4) True or False: A cold shower or coffee can help me sober up faster.
5) Alcohol poisoning can be lethal, so it's important to know the signs in case you need to call 911 for a friend. Which of the following are the signs of alcohol poisoning:
a. Mental confusion, stupor, coma or person cannot be roused
d. Slow or irregular breathing: 8-10 seconds between breaths
e. Bluish skin color or paleness
f. a, c and e
g. All of the above
6) college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes.
EXTRA CREDIT: college students drove under the influence of alcohol last year.
c. 2.1 million
ANSWERS: (1) c, (2) b, (3) b, (4) False - nothing can speed up the process, (5) g - if your friend shows some of these symptoms - not all are necessary - call for help NOW, (6) c. EXTRA CREDIT is c.