Informational Kits Help Promote Evidenced-Based Mental Health Practices
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is offering a new Assertive Community Treatment Knowledge Informing Transformation (ACT KIT) packet as the first in a new series of Evidence-Based Practice Knowledge Informing Transformation (EBP KIT) packets. EBP KIT materials help mental health caregivers provide a broad range of proven mental health services in a wide variety of community settings.
The EBP KITs provide information and guidance on tools and resources that States, communities, and organizations can use to find the evidence-based practices best suited to the unique mental health care needs of the populations they serve.
The ACT KIT offers information and guidance on providing comprehensive mental health treatment and support services to help individuals with serious mental illness stay out of the hospital and live successfully in the community. The information provided in the ACT KIT can help mental health providers develop community-based services that are better suited to the individual needs of clients.
Included in the ACT KIT and future EBP KITs:
- materials to introduce the practice to a wide variety of stakeholders, including Spanish and English videos, brochures, and a PowerPoint presentation
- information for state mental health authorities and program administrators to help them set up systems to support the practice
- a manual and accompanying video to train front-line staff
- evaluation/quality assurance materials to ensure the practice works as planned, and
- a summary of the scientific evidence for the effectiveness of the practice