Five Ways to Increase Eating Pleasure
Add Texture and Flavor to Foods
- Texture: e.g., granola cereal on yogurt
- Flavor: e.g., garlic in spaghetti sauce
Stimulate your Sense of Taste
- eat hot and cold foods in the same meal
- rotate bits of food from the choices in your plate
Eat with a Friend
- arrange a regular date, e.g., every Wednesday evening
- have a potluck meal where friends bring a dish
- buy and cook small quantities to avoid the same old leftovers
- cook meals ahead and reheat or defrost when needed
- keep easy-to-fix items available in case you don't feel like cooking
-(e.g., fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, hearty canned soups, low fat cheese)
Set the Table Attractively
- make mealtime more interesting, fun, and enjoyable
- eating adequate calories is critical so make it a focus of each day
See the other ACSM's Active Aging Tips including "Eating Better."
Get the NIA Guide on Exercise free: call 1-800-222-2225 or http://www.nih.gov/nia
The source of this release is http://www.hhs.gov
Share this content.
If you liked this article and think it may help your friends, consider sharing or tweeting it to your followers.