Buying The Freshest Produce
Nutrition and Produce
When you purchase produce do you know how to pick the freshest pieces?
Judging the best produce requires picking it up, smelling it and it some cases shaking it to see if it is ripe. For fresh produce, keep these tips in mind:
- Tomatoes should be smooth, somewhat firm and have a slight aroma
- Zucchini should be medium size with smooth, glossy skin
- Cucumbers should be firm and dark green without soft ends.
- Honeydew melon should be waxy white in color with only a slight green cast. The end should give slightly when pressed on.
- Cantaloupe should have noticeable netting, smell like cantaloupe and should feel solid when you shake it