After-School Snacks Round Out Nutrition
Nutrition and Snacks
When your kids run in the door after a day at school, a snack usually is the first thing on their minds.
Be sure to encourage and offer your children healthy snack foods, which should include some carbohydrates and a little protein. For the greatest variety of nutrients, try to incorporate whole grains, fruits, vegetables or beans into your kids' snack-eating plan.
Some ideas for nutritious snacks include:
- A bean burrito
- A cheese quesadilla with salsa and lettuce
- A yogurt and fruit smoothie with graham crackers
- A bowl of whole-grain cereal topped with sliced fruit and milk
- A small salad with sliced deli meat, tuna or beans
- Fruit, cheese and whole-grain crackers.
For more healthful children's snack ideas as well as the most-reliable food and nutrition information, contact a dietetics professional.