You Will Want to Take These Healthy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps in Your Lunch Every Day This Week
Looking for a delicious change from your standard brown-bag lunch? This recipe for healthy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps will blow you away! Simply do all the prep work this weekend, and you’ll be set for the week; but you might want to consider making a double batch because it’s so healthy and delicious you may not be able to stay out of it.
This recipe gets its protein from extra-firm tofu. You won’t want to use sliken tofu here, as you’re looking for texture that will hold up. If you are new to cooking with tofu, you'll learn a new technique with this recipe, called "Pressing" the tofu. You will simply lay the pressed block of tofu on a plate, wrapped in several layers of absorbent toweling, and top with a second plate.
Place something heavy on top of the second plate, such as a few heavy books, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Pressing the tofu allows much of the water to be expelled from the block of tofu, giving a firmer, chewier texture.
The water chestnuts provide a surprising crunch, and the sweet and spicy sauce will leave you satisfied all afternoon. You can find Hoisin sauce and rice vinegar in the Asian cooking section of your grocery store. And although it can be a little pricey, don't be tempted to skimp on the sesame oil. This oil provides a distinct Asian flavor and a little truly will go a long way. Because it spoils quickly, sesame oil should always be stored in the refrigerator after opening.
Healthy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
3 TBS Hoisin Sauce
3 TBS Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
2 TBS Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Canola or Grape Seed Oil
1 pkg, 12-14 oz Extra-firm Tofu
8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, finely chopped
1 8 oz can Water Chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp freshly grated Ginger
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
4 Green Onions, finely sliced, divided
8 Large Inner Leaves Romaine Lettuce
½ cup grated Carrots
1. In a small bowl, stir together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
2. Press tofu to remove liquid. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in tofu, breaking into very small pieces as it cooks. Cook for 5 minutes. Add diced mushrooms and continue cooking until liquid cooks off and tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions. Cook until fragrant; about 30 seconds more.
3. Pour sauce over tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until bubbling and warmed through; 30 to 60 seconds.
4. If packing for weekly lunches, divide into individual containers and refrigerated 3-5 days, or freeze up to two months. When ready to serve, warm in microwave. (Although, this recipe is also delicious cold) If serving immediately, skip this step.
5. Spoon tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions and grated carrots.