Best Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution
If you live with kids and pets, spills on the carpet are an inevitable part of life. And last year, we moved to a new house—with white carpets. I knew, if I was going to keep my kids and my dog alive, I needed a quick action plan to come up with a solution for stains and spills.
The first thing I did was invest in a good quality carpet spot cleaner. After doing some research, I settled on the Hoover Spotless Portable Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner.
I was initially very pleased with the cleaner, and very impressed with how easily it took out stains in my carpets, my sofas, my kids’ mattresses, and even my car upholstery--and quickly used up the included samples of carpet cleaner solution provided with the machine.
That’s when I suffered serious sticker shock and began scouring the internet for a recipe for the best homemade carpet cleaner solution. A replacement ½ gallon bottle of their cleaning solution runs about $13-15, so, roughly $26-30 per gallon, but the recipe below works even better than the expensive branded solution, and makes a gallon of concentrated carpet cleaner solution for only about $1. As with most things in life, you just can’t beat homemade.
Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution
- 2 TBS Liquid Laundry Detergent (I use Purex for HE washing machines)
- ¼ cup LA’s Totally Awesome Cleaner (*see note below)
- 1 scoop Oxyclean (or generic brand)
- 1 tsp Downy fabric softner
- Hot water, to make 1 gallon
1. Mix together in a large mixing bowl with spout, laundry detergent, awesome cleaner, oxyclean, and tide. Stir until well combined.
2. Add hot water to gallon container, leaving space at the top. Gently pour in laundry soap mixture. Stir or agitate gently to mix, but avoid making too much foam.
3. Slowly fill container the rest of the way with hot water.
This recipe makes a CONCENTRATED solution, so use in the same ratios as recommended on your cleaning machine. You will definitely want to dilute this before cleaning your carpets, as a little goes a long way.
* LA’s Totally Awesome Cleaner is a concentrated non-toxic and biodegradable cleaning product that I use to clean literally EVERYTHING around my home.
Simply dilute it according to the chart on the side of the bottle. It works on floors, stove tops, sinks, fabric, outdoor patio furniture, and more. It is widely available at discount stores; I find it at Dollar Tree near my home for $1 per bottle.
Try this homemade carpet cleaner solution next time you have a mess on your hands, and let us know in the comments below what you think.