Here is how you avoid and treat Typhoid fever
The World Health Organization estimates that there are 21 million people affected by typhoid fever every year. This disease is contracted by ingesting a bacteria called Salmonella Typhi, through contaminated water or food. Though Typhoid fever can be deadly, there are 2 approaches to avoid contracting the bacteria and 3 home remedies that will help you treat Typhoid fever.
Here are the 2 approaches that will help you avoid contracting typhoid fever
1) Don’t be complacent: It is not because you live in what some call a first world country, that you are immune to the bacteria Salmonella Typhi. Heavily populated cities might have problems with providing 100% clean water, and importing of goods from other countries might put you at risk. So, make sure your water is clean, your meat is well cooked and your fruits and veggies well washed. A temperature of 60 degrees for 15 minutes or rapid boiling will kill the bacteria.
2) Do not ignore the signs of Typhoid fever
The centers for Disease Control warns that only a stool sample or blood test can 100% verify if you have been infected. But the tell tale signs are: Fever (39° to 40° ), weakness, stomach pains, headache, a rash of flat, rose-colored spots, diarrhoea, constipation, nausea or vomiting.
Once you have been confirmed to have been infected with Salmonella Typhi, there are 3 home remedies that will help you treat Typhoid fever
1) Look into using essential oils like:
Eugenol: This essential oil made out of clove, has been shown to completely inactivate Salmonella typhi within 60 min exposure. The chemo-attractant property of eugenol combined with the observed high antibacterial activity at alkaline pH, favors the fact that the compound can work more efficiently by interacting with the bacterial cell membrane.
Cinnamon: You can cook with cinnamon, make a cinnamon tea or use cinnamon essential oil. A recent study, showed that the oil from the bark of Cinnamom varum has great antibacterial activities, but it was especially efficient against salmonella typhi at a 2.9mg/ml concentration.
2) Eat foods that are antibacterial and will help you managing symptoms of Typhoid fever like diarrhea
Garlic has been tested against human pathogenic bacteria and has been proven to have amazing antimicrobial activity. The bactericidal effect of garlic extract was apparent within 1 h of incubation and 93% killing of Staphylococcus epidermidis and Salmonella typhi was achieved within 3 h.
Banana and fruits rich in pectin like apple
A Clinical study on persistent diarrhea and dietary management has observed that Green banana and pectin are useful in the dietary management of persistent diarrhea in hospitalized children. The children were given a rice-based diet containing either 250 g/L of cooked green banana or 4 g/kg pectin. By day 3 post treatment, more children recovered from diarrhea receiving pectin or banana than controls.
3) Keep well hydrated. But, again make sure you are consuming clean water that is free of chemicals.
Share this content.
Please include eMaxHealth in Google Alerts to receive tomorrow's stories and SHARE this with friends if it was interesting.