Ordering Wisely at Fast-Food Restaurants Can Save Lives
It is estimated that one in five Americans is obese, a condition defined as being more than 30 percent above the ideal weight based on height. Even more alarming is that fact that obesity rates for children have doubled over the past 20 years, and overweight children are being diagnosed with obesity-related illnesses such as diabetes, sleep apnea and respiratory illnesses that in the past have only afflicted adults. Many of these people consume fast-foods.
The US. Department of Agriculture estimates the cost at more than $ 71 billion a year in added health-care and related expenses because of obesity and it is estimated that kids get up to 40 percent of their meals from fast-food chains, convenience stores and restaurants. In fact, one American Medical Association study estimates that 300,000 Americans die each year from obesity-related causes such as heart disease, diabetes and stroke.
“It’s extremely difficult to eat in a healthy way at a fast-food restaurant. Despite some of their recent healthful offerings, the menus still tend to include foods high in fat, sugar and calories and low in fiber and nutrients,” said researcher Mark Pereira, Ph.D., assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota. “People need to evaluate how often they eat meals at fast-food restaurants and think about cutting back.”
People can reduce fat and calorie content to a significant degree by ordering wisely at fast-food restaurants.
- Order roasted, or grilled
- Order without sauces
- Buy smaller portions
- Do not super size meals even if it saves you a few cents now it wont in the long run
- Order orange juice, milk or water
- Plot your pizza of any excess grease
- Try to choose the relatively healthier and lower fat items
- Order your salads with the dressing on the side
- Chicken and fish are great choices but not breaded or deep-fried.
- Skip the cheese, removing just one slice of cheese saves you 100 calories
- Don't order foods with the words "double," "ultimate," "big" or "monster"
- Yogurt parfait are loaded with calories
- Chew your food slowly
Nex time you are in a rush and need to eat out quickly, remember that ordering wisely at fast-food restaurants can save lives—even yours!
Written by Tyler Woods Ph.D.
Exclusive to eMaxHealth