The Perfect Summer Salad to Decrease Bloating and Flush Fat
With temperatures on the rise, salads are #1 on the menu in my house. It is just too hot to eat anything in the middle of the day that isn’t cool and crisp. This tasty summer recipe is sure to fill you up, keep you cool, and help your body flush fat.
With temperatures on the rise, salads are #1 on the menu in my house. It is just too hot to eat anything in the middle of the day that isn’t cool and crisp. This salad is by far my favorite for many reasons, but when it comes to weight loss it is al all-star, and tasty too.
While the ingredients in the salad do not necessarily flush excess fat on their own, these foods greatly assist in ridding the body of fat burnt during exercise. Hydration is essential for general health, but especially when trying to lose weight. Water’s role in weight loss is lubrication and preventing fluid-retention. It may seem strange, but drinking more water actually limits fluid retention, which causes bloating. The reason being that a body without adequate water intake holds on to the water that it does have to prevent dehydration.
This tasty summer recipe is sure to fill you up, keep you cool, and help your body flush fat.
Watermelon Salad with Cucumber and Mint
- 1 small or ½ of large watermelon cut into bite-sized chunks
- ½ cucumber peeled and cut into small pieces (smaller than the watermelon chunks)
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup of extra virgin, organic olive oil
- Dash of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup of Feta or mozzarella cheese (can be removed for vegan/lactose intolerant diet)
Combine all the chopped/peeled/ready to eat ingredients into a large mixing bowl and put into the refrigerator for 20-minutes so the flavors can absorb and the salad is nice and chill.
Here’s how the ingredients work to stop the bloat and assist fat in leaving the body:
- Lemons help clear out waste, boost energy, aid in digestion, and may even reduce hunger cravings
- Watermelons are 92% water, keeping the body hydrated, and full of nutrients like vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids.
- Cucumbers are 95% water, rich in fiber and have natural diuretic properties which help your body stop retaining water and ease excess bloat. They will also help you feel full so you eat less.
- Mint leaves aid in digestion by reducing symptoms of IBS, relax stomach muscles so gas can pass (reducing bloating), and improve flow of bile.
- Olive Oil lubricates the digestive tract and binds to waste to improve bowel movements and remove waste lodged in the intestines.
Between the weight loss benefits and the refreshing and delicious flavors, this salad will surely make those hot summer days a little more tolerable and make you feel more confident in a swimsuit.