Turn That Frown Upside Down and Smile for Weight Loss
Smiling reduces stress, which ultimately leads to weight loss as our body calms down and is able to do what it needs to do. Increased happiness is a direct result of reducing stress in our lives. Smiling is something that almost everyone can do, even right now as you are reading this article.
I could tell you a funny joke to get you to smile, I could remind you of what it is like to have Christmas with your family, or I could even just tell you to smile. Regardless, I know that a smile is right there inside of you even if you are having a bad day.
I am smiling right now as I am typing this, because I am happy. I am happy to be alive and to be able to breathe. I get to spend the day working with my wife, I just drank a delicious smoothie, and the sun is shining outside. Anyone can find something to be positive and happy about each and every day, you just need to actively look for it.
Beyond just our own personal feelings, smiling also affects other people we meet. It actually serves to spread happiness around the world because smiling can be contagious. Just picture your best friend, parent, or child with a big goofy grin on their face. Doesn’t it make you want to smile too? Doing things for others and making others happy is one of the greatest reasons to be alive.
Find that one thing that will bring a smile to your face. Find your source of contentment not for tomorrow or next month, but for right now in this moment. What is it that will make you smile?
Here are some more ideas of things that will make you smile, especially if you are not having the greatest day.
9 Ways To Smile Today
- Journal at least weekly. Journaling is a great activity to do for self-reflection. It helps you to get to know yourself better. Try to list out all of the positive things that happened during the week and you will probably crack a smile knowing that there are at least a few things going well for you.
- Watch a funny show or a funny movie. Laughter is the best medicine after all.
- Throw a game night with your friends. Play board games, card games, or if you are feeling more adventurous, try some strategy games. Before my wife and I moved down south we used to have a game night at least once a week, and it was always a fantastic time.
- Force yourself to smile, even if you are in a bad mood. It is amazing what this can do for you. My mood has been changed significantly using this practice in the past. It might be hard to do and it will feel really weird to smile when you are mad or upset, but it will become more natural overtime because you will start to recognize that it does indeed help!
- Go for a run or do another type of workout. It amazing how much exercise can help to change your mood around and put a smile on your face. The endorphins that run through your body create a shift in your internal thinking. Suddenly the world seems like a much brighter place when you are covered in sweat.
- Picture your fondest memory with a family member. This will cause a warm sensation to filter down onto your face causing you to smile. Better yet, call that certain someone and tell them that you love them!
- Write a letter to your grandmother. If your grandmother is anything like mine, she would be tickled pink if she received a handwritten letter from you. You can spend as little as 5 minutes right now and absolutely make someone's day.
- Just remember that no matter how bad you have it, someone out there is going through a worse situation. Be grateful for whatever you have and cherish your loved ones.
- Rest easy knowing that at the end of the day you are going to keep trying your best. All we can do each and every day is just our best. Anything beyond that isn’t possible. Put your best foot forward each and every day and smile knowing that there is nothing more that you can do today.
Smile more. Smile often. Smile so much your ears can feel it.
Source: Does smiling make you happy?