How Much Water to Drink to Crush your Weight Loss Goals and Lead a Healthy Life
Water is better than anything you’ve ever heard of to lose weight. This fact might not be shocking to you, but it is something many people seem to ignore. 95% of Americans walk around dehydrated every single day. Don’t find yourself in the majority. Drink more water right now in order to lose weight and feel better.
Drinking more water will help you to lose weight by:
- Keeping you fuller- Trying drinking a full glass of water before each meal to stay hydrated and to ultimately eat less.
- Upping your metabolism- Drinking a lot of water in the morning will give your metabolism a major boost throughout the day. This helps with all aspects of weight loss because it gives you an easy way to start your day out right. With a strong start, it is easier to finish well!
- Helping your brain to function: Staying hydrated keeps your brain performance at optimal levels. Your brain needs water to do its best work, so keep it hydrated.
Once you are convinced that your water consumption needs to go up, the most important question facing you will be how much water to drink per day. Here are 3 easy methods to figure out how much water to drink:
- The most straightforward way to determine your daily water consumption is to follow the following recommendation. Adult males need to drink about 13 cups of water per day (3 liters). Adult females need to drink 9 cups of water per day, or a little over 2 liters. This method is an easy way to measure whether you are meeting your daily consumption goals, but it can be hard to actually follow through and track with this method. Thus, I don’t recommend following this option unless you will be truly dedicated to tracking your daily drinking habits.
- The second and a little bit more complicated approach is to take your total weight and divide it in half. This will determine how many ounces of water you should get per day. For example, if you weigh 180 pounds you'll need to drink 90 ounces of water per day. This method makes more sense because it factors in your weight and not just male/female. It doesn’t make much sense for a 200 pound guy to imbibe the same amount of water as a 100 pound male.
- The third and best way to figure out how much water you need to be drinking per day is to just drink more water. Slowly increase your consumption daily and the weekly until you feel the full benefits of drinking enough water. I recommend this method when starting out because it is simple and the most effective. Just drink more water daily and keep on drinking. It takes a lot of focused concentration to drink too much water. It is better in most cases to drink too much water as opposed to too little. Don’t over hydrate and remember that too much of a good thing can indeed be a bad thing.
Make your water consumption a daily goal and something that you focus on consistently. Don’t just drink a big glass of water one day and forget the very next day. Long term change will only occur with long term discipline.
Good luck as you begin your water drinking journey.