8 Liver Cleansing Recipes for Out of Balance Liver
Sometimes people don't know that liver needs a special care and the balance can be easily fixed with liver cleansing recipes. This story shows if your liver needs cleansing and lists eight liver cleansing recipes for out of balance liver.
The liver is responsible for filtering out toxins and other potentially unhealthy materials from the body, so it makes sense to ensure the liver is operating at optimal capacity. Some health professionals believe a great way to detox is to use a liver cleanse.
Is your liver out of balance?
The liver processes and helps eliminate both internal and external (environmental) toxins and waste products, which can be a fairly heavy workload. Internal toxins and waste include the byproducts of metabolism, while external toxins can include anything from air pollutants to mercury in fish, secondhand smoke, and fumes from treated furniture or dry cleaning.
When the liver is overwhelmed and unable to efficiently to its job, your health can suffer. Some of the signs and symptoms of an overworked liver can include fatigue, irritability, gas, depression, and bloating.
Liver cleansing recipes are designed to be used along with a nutritious diet, although the components and length of those diets vary, depending on the program. Often liver detox diets involve consuming the following as the only foods eaten: raw fruits and/or vegetables, or juiced fruits and/or vegetables.
According to some medical experts, following a liver detox diet can be dangerous to your health if it is very restrictive and/or it lasts for a prolonged period and/or you have a chronic condition such as diabetes, heart disease, or an eating disorder. Liver detox diets also should not be used by women who are pregnant or by adolescents or the elderly.
You also should not try a liver cleansing program (including coffee enemas, which can be harmful) until you have consulted a knowledgeable healthcare professional. He or she can advise you on the safest and most effective way to do a liver detox.
8 Liver cleansing recipes
Several foods are often used as part of a liver detox recipe because they reportedly have liver cleansing properties. They include:
- Grapefruit: This citrus is rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants and compounds that enhance the production of liver enzymes.
- Garlic: This popular herb contains sulfur compounds that trigger liver enzymes designed to help eliminate toxins.
- Green tea: Green tea is chock full of phytonutrients called catechins, which support liver function.
- Leafy greens: Various leafy greens, especially bitter ones, can help in detoxing the liver. These include arugula, dandelion greens, kale, and chicory. These greens also help enhance the production and flow of bile.
- Turmeric: Curcumin, the main active ingredient in turmeric, enhances the production of bile, protects the liver against damage from toxins, and can help restore damaged liver cells.
- Cayenne: This hot pepper has long been valued for its cleansing abilities because of its antioxidants and ability to boost the metabolism.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice assists with the breakdown of bile.
- Ginger: This herb reportedly can help the liver eliminate toxins.
Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about which liver cleansing recipe you will be using as part of your detox program.
Bitter Sweet Detox
4 ounces pure water
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs black strap molasses
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Place all ingredients in a shaker bottle and drink once a day for 10 days.
2 large grapefruit
10 ounces purified water
2 Tbs of an essential fatty acid blend (omega-3, -6, and -9)
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 inches of fresh ginger root, grated
1 tsp acidophilus
Squeeze the grapefruit and lemon juice into a juicer or blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend for 30 seconds.
½ bunch spinach
½ cup arugula
½ lemon, peeled
1 stalk of celery
2 apples, organic
1 inch slice of ginger, grated
Place all ingredients into a juicer or blender and pulse till smooth.
Super Green Detox
1 stalk of celery
1 cucumber, peeled
1 cup spinach
½ cup each kale, dandelion greens, parsley
Process in a juicer.
2 organic apples
2 Tbs grated fresh beet
5 organic carrots
½ cup dandelion greens
1 small organic lemon, peeled
Dash of cayenne
Place all ingredients in a juicer and process.