How To Keep Flies Away Naturally, 6 Ideas
Flies are among the most annoying and bothersome insects, and they also carry germs. You can keep flies away naturally, from you and your family, food, and pets, if you consider some of the following ideas.
Are flies a health risk?
It’s summer, and houseflies are everywhere, enjoying their vacation and perhaps spoiling yours. Although houseflies are not the only nor the most important carriers of disease (mosquitoes are champions of disease), they can transmit shigellosis, salmonellosis, parasitic worms, cholera, amoebic dysentery, and eye diseases.
The pesticides used to keep flies away can be more hazardous than the flies themselves. In addition, a new study published in PLoS One noted that many of the insecticides used to manage flies do not work because the insects have developed resistance to the toxins.
- Citrus and cloves. Take an orange or lemon and insert pieces of clove into the skin, about every inch or two. Place the citrus and cloves on a table or hang in your room to keep the flies away. (You can hang the fruit in a net bag.)
- Cloves. If you want to avoid watching the citrus gradually deteriorate, just use cloves. Place whole cloves in small pieces of cheesecloth and hang them in doorways or other areas where you want to keep flies away. Squeeze the cloves every day or so until they begin to lose their aroma, then replace them.
- Water and pennies. This idea is reportedly an Amish technique that some people swear works. Take a resealable plastic bag (sandwich size or slightly larger) and fill it halfway with water. Place 4 to 6 shiny pennies in the bag and hang it in the doorway.
- Natural oil and vinegar. This is a natural fly repellent you spray on yourself. Place the following ingredients in a spray bottle and use to keep the pests away: ½ cup witch hazel, ½ cup apple cider or white vinegar, 50 drops of any of the following essential oils: catnip, cedar, citronella, clove, eucalyptus, lavender, mint, or rosemary
- Herbs and witch hazel. Boil 1 cup of water and add 4 tablespoons of dried citronella, cloves, lavender, peppermint, and/or spearmint. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and let the herbs steep in a covered pot until it is lukewarm. Strain out the herbs and combine the water with ½ cup witch hazel or rubbing alcohol and place in a spray bottle. Refrigerate and spray on your skin when needed.
- Natural fly strips. Recycle a piece of clothing by cutting it into strips 6 to 12 inches long and 1 to 2 inches wide. Dot each strip with several drops of any of the following essential oils: clove, citronella, eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, mint, or rosemary. Hang the strips where you don’t want the flies to be!
Have a wonderful summer and keep those flies away naturally.
Also Read about Summer Pests Fun Facts
Khan HA et al. Insecticide mixtures could enhance the toxicity of insecticides in a resistant dairy population of Musca domestica L. PLoS One 2013 Apr 16; 8(4): e60929
Please SHARE these tips with friends to help them to keep flies away during this season through natural ways.