How Fast Will I See Benefits of Human Growth Hormone Treatment?
Over the past few years, there has been a growing interest in human growth hormone (HGH) and its role in the aging process. Given the rising number of older adults in the United States, the fact that people are living longer, and the desire to make those later years as vital and productive as possible, more and more people are interested in the benefits of human growth hormone and how fast they can expect to experience results.
Human growth hormone is a substance that is naturally produced in the pituitary gland and spurs growth in children and adolescents. Its major roles in the body are regeneration of cells and the growth and maintenance of human tissue throughout the body, including the brain and other organs. When the pituitary gland releases HGH into the bloodstream, it remains there for only a few minutes, but that’s long enough for the liver to transform it into numerous different growth factors. The most critical of those growth factors is insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), which stimulates an increase in cell size as well as an increase in cell number of most tissues, including bone.
Experts have been studying human growth hormone for a little more than a century, but synthetic HGH has been around for a lesser amount of time, since its development in 1985. Today, HGH has approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for specific uses in both adults and children.
What is Human Growth Hormone Used For?
In children, HGH injections have FDA approval for treating short stature of unknown causes as well as poor growth that may be associated with conditions such as Turner’s syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, chronic kidney disease, or short bowel syndrome. Most uses of HGH, however, are not on the FDA-approval list and are related to anti-aging in adults.
Levels of human growth hormone (and some other hormones as well) drop dramatically as we get older, resulting in a hormone imbalance. Thus many adults are turning to HGH injections as a way to combat the effects of aging, including flagging energy and stamina, reduced ability to ward off infections, cognitive decline, emotional instability, and loss of sex drive. HGH injections are sought in an effort to stimulate cell regeneration. In fact, according to Kingsberg Medical, “new cells are required by all areas of the body on a daily basis,” and therefore “decreased cell reproduction can have detrimental effects throughout the system,” reaching every organ system in your body.
Benefits of HGH Injections and How Fast They Occur
The health benefits of using human growth hormone injections to correct a hormone imbalance and promote cell regeneration are quite extensive, and they typically take weeks to months before they become evident. For example:
- Improved skin integrity. Regeneration of skin cells, especially collagen, helps restore firmness and thickness to the skin and combats wrinkles and sagging. Improvements in skin tone can be noticed by the beginning of month two. As supplies of collagen increase, skin will become firmer and have greater elasticity by around month five, and cellulite should be reduced by month six.
- Better vision. As we age, the muscles in the iris weaken, as do other muscles and tissues of the eye. Without a supply of new cells, vision can worsen. HGH injections may result in subtle improvements in vision, including night vision, during the second month of treatment. A significant improvement may be evident by the end of six months.
- Better mood and cognitive function. Significant mood fluctuations and swings are often a part of an imbalanced hormonal system. Human growth hormone injections may bring about positive changes. In a study of 18 adults with a HGH deficiency, the hormone was given weekly for six months. By the end of the study, the patients experienced a significant improvement in mood and cognitive function. Generally, improvements such as better optimism or sense of human may occur before the first month of treatment is done.
- More satisfying sleep. Low levels of human growth hormone disrupt the body’s ability to fall asleep and maintain restful sleep. Since the body requires deep sleep to produce growth hormone, HGH injections are a way to remedy this situation. Improvements in sleep are usually experienced during the first few weeks of treatment. The duration and quality of sleep should continue to improve over succeeding months.
- Stronger bones. The risk of osteoporosis increases significantly as we age, and HGH injections can help boost bone cell production by month three of treatment. Improvements in bone structure and strength are not immediately evident, but individuals should experience increased flexibility and less pain in their joints.
- More muscle. Loss of muscle tone and strength can occur as we age. Human growth hormone injections can stimulate collagen synthesis, which in turn increase muscle strength and tone, resulting in an improvement in exercise performance as well. In a study of 14 healthy men ages 50 to 70, half received HGH injections and half did not. After six months, those who received HGH showed increased muscle strength in the lower body. Generally, improved muscle tone can be observed during the second month of treatment, while greater flexibility is reported during the third month. For best results, individuals need to participate in exercise or workout programs.
- Increased energy and stamina. The length of time it can take to notice an increase in energy varies from person to person. However, typically there is “a noticeable increase in energy” within days of beginning treatment with HGH, according to Kingsberg Medical. “This energy level continues to build throughout the course of therapy.” The progression goes something like this: noticeable improvements to endurance and stamina before the first month of injections is done, followed by an increase in strength during month two. By month six, individuals usually have a greater tolerance for high-intensity exercise.
Kingsberg Medical. How long does it take to see HGH results
Kingsberg Medical. What is HGH used for
Lasaite L et al. Psychological functioning after growth hormone therapy in adult growth hormone deficient patients: endocrine and body composition correlates. Medicina (Kaunas) 2004; 40(8): 741-44
Tavares ABW et al. Effects of growth hormone administration on muscle strength in men over 50 years old. International Journal of Endocrinology 2013; Article ID 942030