Mold exposure linked to fibromyalgia

Advertisement
Mar 17 2015 - 9:14pm
Mold exposure and fibromyalgia

Dr. Leo Galland believes hidden allergies can play an important role in chronic health problems. Mold is one of the most common environmental factors that affects people’s health and causes allergies. Toxic mold exposure has been linked to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, asthma, lupus and other conditions.

Mold can have a toxic impact on the human body because it produces harmful chemicals such as mycotoxin. The side effects of being exposed to toxic mold can range from circulatory damage to respiratory illnesses, and black mold is a common indoor air pollution problem. Patients report a variety of symptoms that include allergies, irritation, pain, aches, respiratory issues, chronic illnesses and cognitive problems.

Advertisement

Please SHARE with friends and include eMaxHealth in Google Alerts for tomorrow's great stories.

Dr. Leo Galland points out: “Mold allergy is an important cause of fatigue and muscle aches. A significant proportion of people with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia have mold sensitivity.” Dr. William J. Rea shares the story of a patient who started to suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue after his office became moldy. Dr. Rea mentions that tests proved the office had toxic mold, and the patient had toxins in his body. After moving his office and seeking treatment, the patient showed signs of improvement.

Dr. Rea believes that the environmental roots of illness should not be ignored by physicians. Mold is one of the common environmental contributors to disease, and patients are encouraged to carefully check their homes for the toxic substance. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that Cladosporium, Penicillium, Alternaria and Aspergillus are some of the most widespread indoor molds. Unfortunately, mold is able to grow on a variety of surfaces, but high humidity levels attract more problems.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends keeping humidity levels low indoors and checking for proper ventilation in the entire house to reduce the likelihood of mold growth. The CDC also suggests that mold can be cleaned indoors with soap and water, bleach or other solutions. It does not recommend having carpets in bathrooms or basements because of the risk of mold growth.

Read more about fibromyalgia:
Memantine drug shows promise for fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia study focuses on brain stimulation to fight pain

Share this content.

Contact Us To Be Mentioned in EmaxHealth.com

Please include eMaxHealth in Google Alerts to receive tomorrow's stories and SHARE this with friends if it was interesting.
Advertisement

Reporter and Bloggers, Write for EmaxHealth and Get Paid. Click to Contact Us For Details

Comments

my office was full of mold. I was having reactions and after allergy testing found I'm allergic to Aspergillus. No one really seemed to care, lately we had more water issues and I again had an allergic reaction. It drains me, effects my FM and body drains me.
This makes sense to me!
So, after reading all this information I asked my doctor to test me for black mold.....this may be a stupid question, I did a blood test - and my results came back and that I have no allergies to black mold - is that the correct test - allergies to black mold - or is it a different type of test to see if black mold (mycotoxins) are in my system?
I was exposed to black mold 15 years ago when I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia and CFS. How long does it stay in your system?