Easy gluten-free and dairy-free snacks for kids
Whether you are packing for a trip or simply need new snack ideas for school, you can make easy gluten-free and dairy-free snacks for kids. Try the following options that are healthy and fast.
It is sometimes harder to come up with creative gluten-free (GF) and dairy-free (DF) snacks than meals. Snacks needs to be fast, easy to make and not messy. They also need to fit into backpacks or lunch boxes, so they must be convenient. The next time you need an easy and healthy snack, consider one of the following options.
Make your own gluten-free and dairy-free snacks for kids
Whether you are concerned about the chemicals in processed foods or worried about cross-contamination in packaged snacks, making your own snacks is a better option. When you have to follow a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, it is crucial to use ingredients that are safe and free from contamination.
Gluten-free and dairy-free trail mix
One of the easiest snacks to make is a gluten-free and dairy-free trail mix that combines your kids’ favorites. Fill reusable plastic containers or plastic bags with this mix, and your children will stop complaining about being hungry.
Ingredients for gluten-free and dairy-free trail mix:
• Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, figs, dates, apples, bananas, plums)
• Nuts (peanuts, cashews, almonds)
• Sunflower seeds
• Coconut flakes
• Chocolate chips (Enjoy Life and other brands make gluten-free and dairy-free versions)
1. Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Use a spoon or other utensil to mix them evenly.
3. Divide into small portions to place in plastic containers or plastic bags.
Gluten-free and dairy-free baked fruit or vegetable chips
Whether you are tired of checking the ingredients on potato chip bags or want a healthier alternative, consider making baked fruit or vegetable chips. You can make a large amount that can be stored in the pantry or kitchen cabinet for future snacking needs. Fruits and vegetables are a healthy alternative to greasy potato chips.
Ingredients for gluten-free and dairy-free baked fruit chips:
• Fruit (apples, pears, figs, bananas, plantains)
• Sugar (in moderation)
Ingredients for gluten-free and dairy-free baked vegetable chips:
• Vegetables (kale, carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, beets, zucchini)
• Olive oil
• Sea salt
• Black Pepper
• BBQ seasoning
• Additional spices (thyme, rosemary, garlic salt, cayenne pepper)
1. After washing and drying, cut the fruits or vegetables into small and thin pieces.
2. Separate the fruits and vegetables into two bowls.
3. Grease two baking sheets with dairy-free and gluten-free butter such as Earth Balance or another brand. You can also use coconut oil, olive oil, canola oil or other DF and GF oils. (Be careful with cooking sprays because some may contain gluten.)
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Cover one baking sheet with fruit and the other with vegetables.
6. Add the spices and seasonings you prefer to each one.
7. Bake until golden brown or crispy.
Make easy snacks for kids
These healthy snacks do not take long to make and are healthy options. They are gluten-free and dairy-free, so they are safe for those who have celiac disease, gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance. The next time your kids are whining about being hungry, consider making these snacks.