Paula Deen Tries to Restore Cooking Empire: New Foods, Diet Recipes
After battling lawsuits and scandals, Paula Deen is attempting to make a comeback and restore her cooking empire, reported ABC News on September 15. She received a standing ovation as made a public appearance with her sons Jamie and Bobby Deen, at the Metropolitan Cooking & Entertaining Show in Houston on Saturday.
"I've said all along that the one place that I would want to make my first step back out was Texas," she declared to the 1,400 people in the audience. "Y'all's hearts are as big as your state."
Meanwhile, in an attempt to promote her new food products, Paula has taken to Twitter, urging people to sign up for her weekly newsletter. Her latest edition showed that she is recognizing the importance of healthier foods.
"Paula's New Food is Here Y'all!"
With the title above, her newsletter highlighted her new sauces and marinades, which include sugar-free products. But they're not cheap.
Paula Deen 2-pc. Sugar Free Mediterranean Salad Dressing Set sells for $14.95, for example.
However, they're part of Paula's new lighter side, which includes recipes. As an example, try her veggie pizzas below made with English muffins and feta cheese, which is lower in fat.
VEGGIE PIZZA MINIS
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 3 English muffins, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups diced eggplant
- 1/4 Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and add tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are softened. Add salt to taste.
- Spoon cooked tomatoes evenly over English muffin halves. In a skillet, saute eggplant and onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add squash and zucchini and cook until tender. Do not over cook, since they will cook some more in the oven. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauteed vegetables evenly over the tomatoes. Sprinkle each mini pizza with balsamic vinegar. Top with mozzarella and feta cheese. Sprinkle pizza with Greek seasoning and basil.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned
From Paula Deen