New Book Unveils the Real Mayo Clinic Diet
Mayo Clinic Diet
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody - a complete plan for a healthier you
Tired of the latest fad diet with its restricted food choices? Confused about "low carb" and "high protein"? Is the Mayo Clinic diet really about cabbage soup and grapefruit? Finally, Mayo Clinic answers your diet questions with its comprehensive and sensible approach to eating healthy in Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody (Mayo Clinic Health Information, soft cover, $22.95, April 2005).
"Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody isn't just another fad diet, it's something more," explains Donald Hensrud, M.D. and medical editor in chief of Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody. "It's a lifestyle you can live with to achieve not only your weight-loss goals, but a healthier life overall."
Your health is the single most important reason to be concerned about your weight. With a focus on improving your health, you'll be motivated to establish clear, reasonable and beneficial goals that will help you to manage your weight and feel great.
Based on their work with thousands of patients, Mayo Clinic physicians and dietitians have created a program to get you on your way to a healthy weight. Inside this 319-page book you will find:
- The Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Food Pyramid - Confused about food choices and portion sizes? This easy-to-use, full-color visual tool helps guide your food choices and takes the mystery out of portion sizes. The pyramid is the foundation of a healthy-eating approach that's easy, filling, tasty - even adventurous.
- The Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Program - Ready to lose weight and be healthier? This step-by-step program launches you on your way to a healthy lifestyle with 12 weeks of menus, shopping lists and recipes. No longer do you need to restrict your diet to a limited category of food. Choose from such great tasting dishes as Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Pearl Onions, Greek Salad with Feta Cheese and Kalamata Olives, and Chocolate Pudding Pie.
- An Action Guide to Weight-Loss Barriers - Do you dread going to the gym? This guide helps you identify your personal barriers to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight and provides practical solutions to get over the rough spots. Learn about how consistent daily activity, not just traditional exercise, can contribute to your healthy weight.
Achieving a healthy weight doesn't have to be unpleasant or complicated. Mayo Clinic gives you straight answers for reaching a healthy weight to look better, feel better and live better.
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody is available for $22.95 (plus shipping, handling and applicable sales taxes) online at bookstore.MayoClinic.com, by calling 866-516-4974 and in most bookstores nationwide.
Revenue from the sale of Mayo Clinic books is used to help support Mayo Clinic programs, including medical education and research.
Dr. Donald Hensrud's special interest in healthy living comes from his personal belief that we can improve our health and quality of life through eating well and being physically active. After years of serving as a Mayo Clinic physician nutritionist and weight management specialist, he also believes:
- Making a commitment to managing weight through lifestyle changes is key to improving health. Good nutrition and physical activity can help prevent heart disease, many cancers, stroke, diabetes mellitus, hypertension and other diseases.
- Developing a positive attitude toward managing weight is necessary for success. Enjoy eating and being active, don't dwell on setbacks and make sure you're ready for a life change.
- Being realistic is essential. Changing lifestyle requires some effort and results take time. But the rewards are well worth it.
Dr. Hensrud served as editor in chief for Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody, The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook and the award-winning, Mayo Clinic/William-Sonoma Cookbook. He also was instrumental in developing the Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Food Pyramid. Dr. Hensrud received his medical degree from the University of Hawaii. In 1992, following a fellowship in clinical nutrition at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, he was appointed to the medical staff of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Dr. Hensrud is an assistant professor of preventive medicine and nutrition for Mayo Medical School and was a director on the American Board of Nutrition.
Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody April 2005 Mayo Clinic Health Information ISBN 1-893005-34-8 Soft cover $22.95