Health knowledge and news provided by doctors.

Seven Tips to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


A northwest Washington man has died and nine New Haven, Connecticut residents were treated at area hospitals after exposure to carbon monoxide this weekend.

Furnace leaks were responsible in both states.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas which can silently lead to serious illness or death if inhaled in significant amounts.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports, "An estimated 300 people die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and thousands of others end up in hospital emergency rooms."

Follow eMaxHealth on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
Please, click to subscribe to our Youtube Channel to be notified about upcoming health and food tips.

Avoiding exposure to carbon monoxide can save your family.

Here are seven tips help protect you and your loved ones from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  1. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and camper. This is a backup but not as a replacement for proper use and maintenance of your fuel-burning appliances.
  2. Have your furnace, chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned each year.
  3. If using a fireplace, make sure the flue is open.
  4. Never heat your home with a gas range or oven.
  5. Never burn charcoal indoors or in any enclosed space, such as in a camper or R.V.
  6. Never leave a gas-fueled tool or vehicle running inside a garage or tool shed, or anywhere indoors.
  7. Never use kerosene or gas heaters indoors.

Don't ignore symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Symptoms of CO poisoning can sometimes be confused with the flu or food poisoning. Symptoms will vary depending on the amount inhaled and include fatigue, headache, weakness, confusion, disorientation, nausea, and dizziness. Very high levels can cause death.

If you think you are suffering from CO poisoning, then you should get fresh air immediately. Do this by opening doors and windows. Turn off your combustion appliance and leave your home.

Then go to the emergency room and tell the physician

Center for Disease Control and Prevention
National Safety Council



A life saving tips, thanks for sharing such post and it is really helpful post.