Arkansas Man Dies after Ingesting Fentanyl Patch

Advertisement

Monday, August 31, the Little Rock police reported a death due to the ingestion of the potent opiate Fentanyl.

Charles Jackson, 22, of White Hall died Friday August 28 after he and a friend, Jake Forrest, ate the gel from a Fentanyl patch. Both were found unconscious and taken to the hospital. Jackson died. Forrest is alive.

The two cut open the Fentanyl patch and ate the gel. Jackson is reported to have had a prescription for the patches.

Advertisement

Fentanyl patches are designed to release the drug into the skin slowly over one to three days.

Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opiate analgesic similar to but more potent than morphine. It’s uses include treatment of severe pain, postoperative pain, and chronic pain.

Besides pain relief, effects of Fentanyl include euphoria, drowsiness/respiratory depression and arrest, nausea, confusion, constipation, sedation, unconsciousness, coma, tolerance, and addiction.

Sources
KATV.com
National Institute on Drug Abuse

Advertisement