CDC Nine and A Half Minutes To Aid HIV AIDS Efforts
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has launched a new initiative and website, Nine and a Half Minutes, in an effort to fight the AIDS epidemic.
Many find it surprising that AIDS continues to be a significant health issue not just in the world, but right here in the United States. On average, one person in the U.S. will become infected with HIV every 9 1/2 minutes. More than 14,000 people die each year in the U.S. from AIDS.
There are more than one million people in the U.S. who are living with HIV. Of those, only 4 out of 5 know they are infected. The other 1 out of 5 don’t know and therefore will pass the virus to their partners unknowingly.
It is important to understand how a person gets HIV or passes it on to someone else. This knowledge will help you protect yourself. HIV can be passed on when blood, semen (cum), pre-seminal fluid (pre-cum), vaginal fluid, or breast milk from a person who has HIV enters the body of a person who does not have HIV.
HIV is most commonly transmitted from one person to another by these methods.
* having sex (anal, vaginal, or oral) with a person who has HIV infection;
* sharing needles, syringes, or other injection equipment with a person who injects drugs and has HIV; or
* from women with HIV to their babies before or during birth, or through breast-feeding after birth.
To protect yourself from getting HIV
* Don't have sex at all (anal, vaginal, and oral sex).
* Only have sex (anal, vaginal, or oral) if you are in a mutually monogamous relationship and you have both tested negative for HIV.
* Use a condom every time you have anal, vaginal, or oral sex.
* Reduce your number of sex partners; this will reduce your risk of getting HIV as well as other STDs.
* Encourage all sexual partners to get tested for HIV and make sure they tell you the results.
* Locate an HIV and STD testing site near you or from your mobile phone, text your zip code to KNOWIT (566948). You can also call 1-800-CDC-INFO for assistance in locating a testing site.
* If you are a man who has sex with other men or if you engage in anal sex, get vaccinated against hepatitis A and B viruses.
For More Information check out the official site Nine and a Half Minutes