Perry Hospitalized with Guillain-Barre Syndrome Complications

William "Refrigerator" Perry Guillain-Barre

William Refrigerator Perry, 46, is reportedly listed in serious condition at Aiken Regional Medical Center in South Carolina where he is hospitalized with health problems related to his Guillain-Barré syndrome. The former Bears defensive tackle was diagnosed with the syndrome last June.

Guillain-Barré syndrome is rare. It is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks the peripheral nervous system. The first symptoms include varying degrees of weakness or tingling sensations in the legs. Often the weakness and abnormal sensations spread to the arms and upper body. These symptoms can increase to the point where the patient is almost totally paralyzed. When this happens, the disorder is life-threatening and is considered a medical emergency.

Guillain-Barré occurs a few days or weeks after the patient has had symptoms of a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection. The disorder usually develops over the course of hours or days, but may take up to 3 to 4 weeks.

There is no known cure for Guillain-Barré syndrome. The most critical part of the treatment for this syndrome consists of keeping the patient's body functioning during recovery of the nervous system. This can sometimes require placing the patient on a respirator, a heart monitor, or other machines that assist body function.


Guillain-Barré syndrome can be a devastating disorder because of its sudden and unexpected onset. Most people reach the stage of greatest weakness within the first 2 weeks after symptoms appear, and by the third week of the illness 90 percent of all patients are at their weakest. The recovery period may be as little as a few weeks or as long as a few years. About 30 percent of those with Guillain-Barré still have a residual weakness after 3 years. About 3 percent may suffer a relapse of muscle weakness and tingling sensations many years after the initial attack.

Here is a link on the front page where you can e-mail patients at the hospital by going to

The mailing address for the hospital for cards and letters is:
Aiken Regional Medical Centers
302 University Parkway
Aiken, SC 29802-1117


Chicago Tribune Breaking News
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke



I had GBS 2 years ago. It eats up your every thought. If you forget about it for a second, you fall. Waking up in the morning if you forget, you fall. It's embarrasing sometimes. I consider my self lucky however since mine never got up to my cranial nerves. It took about a year to 'heal'. My pinkie toes never fully recovered and probably never will. Swimming, running and sometimes even walking can still be a little challenging. Ever since then though, I don't make fun of the obese, the crippled, or the challenged. Because that used to be me. Good luck to ya William.
In 1972-1973, I contracted GBS after recuperating from ankle surgery. The loss of use strated in my hands and within a week had spread to my legs and the week after I found myself paralyzed from the next down. This is a very destructive disease, luckily I was young (23) and strong enough to make a total recovery within 4 months in the hospital, which I will remember for the rest of my life. The disease left just as it came very slowly, but I lucky enough to make a complete recovery. My heart goes out to each and every person who has ever been afflicted with this disease. medical strides are being made daily, this disease was vertually unknown when I contracted it. My thoughts & prayers are with William and all who have lived through GBS.