3 Easy Exercises for 'Bra Bulge"
Summer time means putting on your bathing suit or favorite sundress. For men, it means gong shirtless poolside. But you do not want to worry about back bulge, or for women, what is referred to sometimes as ‘bra bulge’.
Exercise can help tone the back muscles. It isn't just about appearance. A strong back can protect you from injury and improve posture to facilitate breathing and lung health.
Researchers have also been exploring ways to turn so called bad fat into good or brown fat. In a recent study from scientists at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, researchers found they could turn white fat into brown fat.
The goal is to use brown fat as an obesity treatment. Another way to get more brown fat is to exercise. Targeted exercises to get rid of fat can also help us form more good fat; lowering our chances of disease. More brown fat helps us maintain glucose homeostasis and promotes more weight loss.
These 3 exercises target the muscles where back fat is likely to accumulate:
1. Use a 10 pound barbell to perform an exercise called a “Russian Twist”. An added perk of the exercise is that it tones the abdomen too. The ‘twist’ is what helps you get rid of ‘back or bra bulge’ as it is commonly referred to. You can also use a medicine ball.
- Grab the dumbbell or medicine ball and sit on the floor.
- Keep your back straight, Cohen recommends keeping your feet flat on the floor. A variation is to raise the legs slightly and cross your ankles.
- Hold the dumbbell in both hands and twist first to the left and then the right. With each twist, tap the dumbbell to the ground right next to the hip. Be careful not to twist too far to avoid spine injury.
- Do 3 sets of 20 reps
- A variation is to do the exercise in the pool, shown in the video below:
The next two exercises can be done at the gym or at home if you have training equipment:
2. Inverted rows:
- Get under a barbell that is resting on a weight stand.
- Place your hands a little wider than shoulder width. Using an overhand grip and with feet flat on the floor, pull yourself up off the ground, touching your chest to the barbell.
- Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
- If you want to make it more challenging, extend your legs out further. After each set, put your legs out a little further
Don’t like going to the gym? No problem. You can eliminate bra bulge at home by doing inverted rows with two chairs and a broom. Be very careful your chairs will not tip before beginning.
3. Do a simple at home exercise for a sexy toned back called “butterflies”, demonstrated by Teresa Tapp. The exercise is simple and only involves using your arms.
These 3 exercises can help you tone your upper back easily and take little time. They can be done by women or men. Just remember that if you have been sedentary, talk with your doctor before you begin any work out program at the gym or at home.
Getting rid of back or ‘bra’ bulge that comes from fat that accumulates in the upper back requires targeted exercises that sometimes get missed during normal workouts. These 3 exercises are easy and can be done by anyone with the added benefit of not having to go to a gym.
"Conversion from Bad Fat to Good Fat"
April 28, 2013